49th ESAO and IFAO Congress
29 August - 1 September 2023
University of Bergamo (Sant'Agostino historical
building), P.le Sant'Agostino 2, Bergamo
We are glad to announce the 49th Annual Congress of the European Society for Artificial Organs, which will take place from August 29th to September 1st, 2023, in Bergamo, Italy.
This edition of the Annual Congress will be held in conjunction with International Federation of Artificial Organs.
Traditionally, this congress will be launched with the yESAO meeting on August 28th.
The meeting will be organized on-site by the University of Bergamo, Mario Negri Institute, the Bergamo Hospital and the Politecnico of Milano, and will provide the opportunity for personal interaction, that was missing in the last years. We are looking forward to sharing the progress in the field of Artificial Organs at experimental and clinical level, as well as the medical technology in support of this field.
The scientific program will include topics such as apheresis and adsorption, bioprinting and additive technology, biomaterials and tissue engineering, blood compatibility, artificial kidney and liver, heart support mechanical systems as well as organ-on-chip.
We are pleased to invite you to join ESAO 2023 Congress in Bergamo and are confident that your participation will stimulate the exchange of experience between researchers, engineers, industry and clinicians on an international level and will inspire innovation in the field.
ESAO 2023 will continue to build connections between basic research and clinical applications, between academia and industry, between scientific disciplines, between young and senior scientists and clinicians, and, most important of cooperation between people, that we need to reinforce to continue the mission of scientific research among the international scientific community.
We are committed to make this conference an unforgettable and valuable experience for all participants.
ESAO 2023 Organizing Committee
LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
University of Bergamo
- Andrea Remuzzi
- Ettore Lanzarone
- Antonio Ferramosca
- Chiara Emma Campiglio
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research
- Giuseppe Remuzzi
- Michela Bozzetto
- Anna Caroli
Politecnico di Milano
- Maria Laura Costantino
- Francesco De Gaetano
- Gianfranco Beniamino Fiore
- Emanuela Jacchetti
- Attilio Iacovoni
- Amedeo Terzi
- Luca Lorini
The University of Bergamo
The University of Bergamo was founded in 1968 in the Upper Town of
Bergamo. The Congress will be organized by the Departments of
Engineering and Applied Sciences, Management, Information and
Today there is a population of 26,000 students in the University including a School of Engineering.
How to reach the Location
Bergamo International Airport is connected to the city by an efficient car service, Line 1, which operates both day and night.
Road travel solution (approximate travel times, frequencies and costs) to Bergamo (Lower City and Upper City): Line 1 (municipal bus, ATB): 20-40 minutes; every 20 minutes; €1,50.
1) Lecco-Brescia railway: via Caloziocorte, a line serving the western part of Bergamo Province and the Bergam-Brescia route south of Lake Iseo;
2) Treviglio-Bergamo railway: connecting the city to the Milan-Brescia-Venice rail corridor.
There are two railway stations in Bergamo:
1) Bergamo Station (Bergamo FS): the main station, in the center, in the heart of Città Bassa; served by Line 1 buses (and its branches), operating along the route between Orio al Serio Airport, Città Bassa and Città Alta;
2) Bergamo Ospedale Station: serving the New Hospital of Bergamo, near the Loreto and Villaggio degli Sposi neighborhoods.
Bergamo is not reached by high-speed network lines.
A4 Turin-Trieste (Serenissima) Highway: between Turin, Novara, Milan, Bergamo, Brescia, Verona, Vicenza, Padua, Venice, Palmanova, and Trieste.
Not too far away is the A35 (Milan-Brescia) highway.
Frequent day and night bus connections serve relations between Mestre and numerous Italian and foreign cities, even over considerable distances.
Upper Town by Funicolar
- Monday to Friday: first run at 7:03 am; last run at 22:30 pm.
- Friday and Saturday: first run at 7:03 am; last run at 12:19 am.
- Sunday and holidays: first run at 7:39 am; last run at 22:33 am.
Barbara Colonnello – CEO
Loris Ciavarella – Event Project Manager
A city pending between local traditions and global movements, Bergamo is one of the most enchanting and interesting towns in Lombardy.
Characterized by a Medieval Upper City, surrounded by its ancient wall system and the Modern Lower City, heart of the business activities of the city.
Following you will find a list of reccomended hotel the Organizing Secretariat has negotiated for the 49th ESAO and IFAO Congress. You can easily book your room during the registration process for participating at the conference; there is a specific section called “Hotel List” where choosing your preference with hotel and type of room. For any specific request you can contact the Organizing Secretariat at the following email address: email@example.com
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Due to Formula 1 Italian Gran Prix 2023, that will be held in Monza from September the 1st untill the 3rd, the number of available rooms is restricted. It is reccomended to book the room as soon as possible.
- Gombit Hotel – price for a single room €160; price for a suites €450 per night.
- Relais San Virgilio – price for a suites €450 per night.
- Accor Mercure Bergamo – price for a double single use room €115; price for a double room €145 per night.
- Best Western Cappello d’Oro – price for a double single use room €140; price for a double room €160 per night.
- NH Bergamo – price for a double single use room €129; price for a double room €149 per night.
- Arli Hotel Business & Welness – price for a single room €160; price for a double room €220 per night.
- Central Hostel BG – price for a single room €80; price for a double room €100 per night.
- Hotel Piazza Vecchia
REGISTRATION & FEES
In the following table you will find an overview of the registration fees for the 49th ESAO and IFAO Congress. Included in the regular fee (member and non-member), senior and student fee the services below:
- Admittance to all sessions;
- Abstract / program book;
- Welcome reception on Tuesday (29th of August 2023);
- Coffee and tea during the breaks;
Those who wish to submit their work to the Congress are invited to submit an Abstract, which will then be evaluated by the scientific committee.
Please use the on-line submission method by clicking on the below button “Submit Abstract” and providing all the requested information on the template available on the website.
All accepted papers will be included in the final scientific program and in the book of Abstract.
Guidelines for Abstract Submission:
- the Abstract Title must not exceed 150 characters and Abstract text is limited to 300 words (excluding title, authors and affiliations);
- it is not possible to include figures nor mathematical formulas;
- the Presenting Authors must provide all the required data and, in order to be able to present their work at the Congress if selected, they must register to the Congress and pay the due fees within the early registration deadline (June 15th 2023).
Deadline for Abstract Submission: March 31st 2023
ESAO 2023 AWARDS
ESAO will present several awards during the Congress
ESAO Poster Award
ESAO PhD Award
ESAO SAGE Research Award
PROGRAM WILL INCLUDE
University of Bergamo (Sant’Agostino historical building), P.le Sant’Agostino 2, Bergamo:
- Lecture Hall (Aula Magna) for plenary lectures, Sant’Agostino historical building;
- Rooms for parallel sessions, Sant’Agostino historical building;
- Coffee breaks and Lunch each day of Congress.
All the information about the social events planned during the 49th ESAO Congress following:
- Opening cerimony and welcome reception at University of Bergamo (Cloister of the Sant’Agostino historical building);
- Half a day excursion: guided tour of Bergamo (Città alta) – only for Accompanyig guests;
- Social dinner at Villa Malliana (Almenno San Bartolomeo – Bergamo).